This black bean burger recipe is brought to you buy our friend, Laura Theodore!
In episode 408 of The Vegetarian Zen Podcast, we spoke to our friend Laura, aka The Jazzy Vegetarian, about her book, Easy Vegan Home Cooking, which is where you can find this book along with over 125 more vegan/ gluten-free recipes.
Rockin Black Bean Burger Recipe by Laura Theodore
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil Use more as needed to coat pan and measuring cup
- 1 can black beans 14-16 ounces drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup tomato or marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp smoked paprika rounded
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups walnut halves
- 1/2 cup gluten-free quick-cooking rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper. Lightly coat the parchment paper with 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Put the beans, tomato or marinara sauce, ketchup, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder into a medium-sized bowl and coarsely mash using a potato masher or large fork.
- Put the walnuts into a blender or food processor and process into coarse crumbs. Add the ground walnuts and oats to the bean mixture and stir with a large spoon until thoroughly combined.
- To form a burger, scoop up ⅓ cup of the mixture using a lightly oiled measuring cup. Firmly pack the burger mixture into the measuring cup and drop it onto the prepared pan. Gently press the burger using a flat spatula or clean hands to form it into the shape of a burger. Continue in this manner until you have a total of 7 burgers.
- Bake the burgers for 14 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and flip the burgers over. Bake for an additional 10 to 20 minutes (checking often) or until the burgers are golden brown on the bottom and around the edges. (Do not overcook, or the burgers will be too dry.) Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the burgers cool 5 minutes. Serve over a leafy green salad, or serve on gluten-free burger buns or English muffins, topped with coleslaw and your favorite burger sauce.