In episode 408 of The Vegetarian Zen Podcast, we spoke to our friend Laura Theodore, aka The Jazzy Vegetarian.
This recipe for Coco-Nutty Vegan Apple Muffins are not only vegan but they’re also gluten-free! Laura says,
I love muffins! These quick-to-prepare, vegan, and gluten-free baked goodies feature apples, walnuts, and coconut. Freshly ground oat flour adds a jazzy twist to these flavorful and moist muffins.
Serve ‘em for breakfast, brunch, or an afternoon snack, and they pair beautifully with a bowl of soup or main dish salad for a light supper. These tasty treats taste great, and they’ll please kiddos and adults alike!
You can find this recipe and over 125 more in Laura’s book, Easy Vegan Home Cooking. Published by Hatherleigh Press, February 15th, 2022. Reprinted by permission.
Coco-Nutty Vegan Apple Muffins Recipe by Laura Theodore
- 3 cups gluten-free quick cooking rolled oats divided
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut 1/2 plus 3 tbsps
- 1 cup vegan cane sugar 1 cup plus 2 1/4 tsps, divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups diced apple cored and with peel (red apples work the best)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups dairy-free milk plain sweetened or unsweetened
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin and a 6-cup muffin tin with paper liners. Put 2 cups rolled oats into a blender (or food processor) and process into fine flour.
- Put the oat flour, remaining 1 cup rolled oats, coconut, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl and stir with a dry whisk until combined. Add the apples and walnuts and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the dairy-free milk and olive oil and stir with a large spoon to combine.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 18 muffin cups. Sprinkle ⅛ teaspoon of vegan cane sugar over the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Put the muffin tins on a wire rack and let cool for 30 minutes. Serve warm, at room temperature or cold. Covered tightly and stored in the refrigerator, leftover muffins will keep for about 3 days.