A traditional Irish dish of potatoes and kale, colcannon is the perfect comfort food that packs a kale-based nutritional punch. This recipe calls for butter, but for vegan cuisine, you can easily substitute Earth Balance buttery sticks. It is best to mash the potatoes with a hand masher rather than an electric
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tbsp salt
- 5-6 tbsp unsalted butter VEGAN OPTION: Earth Balance vegan buttery stick margarine
- 3 cups kale chopped
- 3 green onions (whites and tops) minced
- 1 1/4 cup plain soy milk
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt and bring to a boil.
- Boil until the potatoes are fork tender (15 to 20 minutes).
- Drain potatoes and set aside.
- In the same pot melt butter VEGAN: Earth Balance over medium-high heat.
- Add the greens to the melted butter.
- Cook the greens for 3-4 minutes, or until they are wilted.
- Add the green onions, stir well and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour in the soy milk and mix well.
- Add the potatoes and reduce the heat to medium.
- Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes, mixing them up with the greens. The potatoes should still contain some chunks.
- Add salt to taste and serve hot, with a pat of butter in the center.