In an ideal, natural-food world, ingredient labels on food would be really, really short. A label on vegetable soup might read like this:
- vegetable broth
- green beans
Instead of this:
What are “disodium guanylate” and “disodium inosinate”? And don’t even get me started on “flavoring”!
In this episode you will learn how to read food labels, identify specific chemical additives and look for hidden ingredients.
Please note that some of the links on this page may be affiliate links and, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through to the product using the link we have provided. We never recommend or provide affiliate links to products or services we do not use ourselves, and our ultimate goal is to provide helpful products and advice to you, our readers and listeners.
Here’s what we mention in this episode:
- VZ 038 – Discussing the Documentary “Super Size Me”
- Super Size Me [DVD]
- VZ 052- Sugar
- Food Babe
- Very Vegetarian Nachos from The Kitchen Girl, Traci Antonovich
Quote of the Week
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is.
— Isaac Asimov
Recipe of the Week
- Taking a Closer Look at Labels
- The Truth About 7 Common Food Additives
- 8 Scary Hidden Ingredients in Processed Foods
- Nutrition Labels on Food: How to Read Them and Read Between the Lines on Them
- “Natural” Flavorings and Other Hidden Animal Sources in Your Food Supply
Thanks for listening!
Peace and Veggies,
Vickie and Larissa