In episode 359 of our podcast, we were pleased to welcome one of our GREATEST inspirations for starting our podcast, Laura Theodore (aka The Jazzy Vegetarian).
Being the GRACIOUS guest that she is, she provided us with some recipes to share with our community from her latest book,
Recipe from Vegan For Everyone, by Laura Theodore. Published by Scribe Publishing Company, ©2020. Reprinted by permission.
Hungry Guy Burgers
From Laura: My husband always complained that I did not make our veggie burgers BIG enough! So the “Hungry Guy” Burger was born. This has become a real fan favorite, packed with hearty black beans, spicy salsa, and rolled oats. Plus, these five-ingredient wonders are super-quick to prepare and super delish. Now everyone’s happy!
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup salsa plus a little more if desired
- 3 slices vegan whole grain bread torn into chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2/3 cup gluten-free old fashioned rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking pan with unbleached parchment paper.
- Put the black beans and salsa in a medium-sized bowl and mash using a potato masher or large fork until well combined.
- Put the bread chunks and cumin in a blender and process into coarse crumbs.
- Add the bread crumbs to the black bean mixture and stir to combine. Stir in the rolled oats and mix to combine. Note: If the mixture seems dry, stir in another heaping tablespoon of salsa and mix to combine.
- Scoop up a generous 1/2 cup of the black bean mixture and put it on the prepared pan. Form it into a burger, shaping it with clean hands, and then flatten it slightly.
- Continue in this manner until you have formed a total of 6 burgers (see note). Bake for 20 minutes. Flip the burgers and bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden.
Chef’s Note: Once formed, the burgers may be covered and refrigerated for 2 to 6 hours before cooking. Add 5 to 7 minutes to the baking time.