Recently in the Peas and Carrots Society Facebook group a member posted a question about nutritional yeast (aka Nooch). What followed was an AMAZING discussion among members about these mysterious yellow flakes, including some really yummy-sounding and creative ways to use them.
What is Nooch?
Nutritional yeast is deactivated yeast related to brewer’s yeast which is used as a fermentation agent in beer making.
It’s grown as a food some and some brands use molasses, then harvest, heat, dry and crumble for the final product.
Nutritional yeast has a nutty taste.
What are the Health Benefits of Nooch?
Nutritional yeast is a great source of:
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B12
- Dietary Fiber
Additionally, it’s low in saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium.
It’s also typically gluten-free but you should check the label just to be sure!
Some Brands You Can Check Out
We usually use the Bragg’s brand of nooch but there are several others on the market such as:
- Bob’s Red Mill
- Red Star
- Dr. Fuhrman
- Frontier Co-op
- NOW Foods
- Whole Foods (Can find it in the bulk section of Whole Foods)
Some Ways You Can Use Nooch
- Use in homemade cheeses – Since nooch has a cheesy flavor, it makes a great substitute for dairy cheese. Try blending it with plain cashew cream and spices to make a cheesy sauce
- Sprinkle on veggies – Adding nooch to potato wedges is a game changer! Cut up a potato, toss wedges in olive oil and fresh rosemary, sprinkle some nooch, smoked paprika and sea salt, throw in the oven for 20 mins, and voila! Yummy potato wedges
- Sprinkle on popcorn – This is my favorite way to eat nutritional yeast! You may need to use a vegan butter substitute spray to help the nutritional yeast stick to the popcorn.
- Add to pizza – I used to drown my pizza with Parmesan cheese to get an extra cheesy flavor but who needs that anymore when you have nooch? Sprinkle some on your pizza for a cheese flavor boost!
- Add to meat-free “meatloaf” or homemade veggie burgers – Mixing just a bit of nutritional yeast to these dishes will help bind ingredients together and add great flavor
- Add to vegan gravy – Adding nooch to vegan gravy can help enrich the taste without using meat stock.
We hope this has helped demystify nutritional yeast for you and offered you some great ideas for using it in your recipes.
We’d love to know your favorite ways to use nooch!