I never bought lunch at school as a kid. Twelve years’ worth of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and you’d think I would never, ever want to taste that combination again. Wrong! I still love those sandwiches, but I think I love these Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins even more.
Packed full of moist deliciousness, these muffins are terrific for breakfast, lunch, snack…whatever! This recipe can also be made vegan by using dairy-free margarine (such as Earth’s Balance) and egg substitute.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter (allow to come to room temperature if refrigerated)
- 1 egg (or 1 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer plus 2 tablespoons water for vegan option)
- 2 tablespoons butter melted (use Earth's Balance or other non-dairy margarine for vegan option)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Your favorite flavor of jam, jelly or preserves
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Spray 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups.
- Whisk together flours, sugars, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (through vanilla).
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients and add wet ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Fill each cup muffin cup half full with batter.
- Spoon 1-2 teaspoons of jam or jelly into each cup.
- Spoon remaining batter over jam/jelly, being sure to cover it completely to prevent the jam/jelly from bubbling out of the muffins.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center.
- Let cool in pan 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.