Laura shares her recipe for Peanut-y Carrot Noodles which is just one of several delicious recipes in her book
Vegan for Everyone.Be sure to check out our recipe with Laura in episode 359 of our podcast.
Peanut-y Carrot “Noodles” by Laura Theodore (aka The Jazzy Vegetarian)
This gluten-free “noodle” dish showcases carrots in place of pasta. It’s reminiscent of a New York-style, Chinese restaurant favorite and it makes a quick, delicious first course, side dish or light luncheon entrée.
Yield: 2 2-4 people
- 4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter heaping teaspoons!
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free tamari
- 6 tablespoons water more may be required
- dash cayenne pepper
- 6 medium carrots 4-6 medium carrots peeled (or 3-4 large)
- 1 scallion white and green parts thinly sliced for garnish
- 1 small lime cut in wedgies (optional)
- Cut the carrots into thin “noodles” using a vegetable peeler spiralizer (or regular spiralizer).
- Fit a steamer basket into a medium-sized saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add 2 to 3 inches of water, and then add the carrots.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Steam the carrots for 2 to 3 minutes or until they are al dente.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, put the peanut butter, maple syrup, tamari, 3 tablespoons of water, and a dash of cayenne pepper into a small bowl and briskly whisk until combined.
- Add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to achieve desired consistency.
- Transfer the warm carrots to a medium-sized bowl and pour the sauce over the carrot “noodles.”
- Gently toss using tongs or a large fork until the carrots are thoroughly coated with the peanut sauce. Serve warm or cover and refrigerate for 2 hours and serve cold.
- To serve, divide the carrot “noodles” into two to four pretty bowls. Top each bowl of carrot “noodles” with some scallions, with an optional lime wedge on the side.
Chef’s note: If you prefer, you may use cashew, almond or sunflower seed butter in place of peanut butter