This Potato, Scallion, & Zucchini Casserole recipe is from Vegetariana by Nava Atlas (reprinted with permission). Be sure to check out our interview with Nava where she discusses the latest edition of her book, originally published in 1984.
From the author:
Babe Ruth said of scallions that they’re “the greatest cure for a batting slump ever invented.” This (vegan) cheesy potato casserole is pure comfort, embellished with lots of scallion in honor of the Babe.
Potato, Scallion, & Zucchini Casserole
- 5-6 med red-skinned or golden potatoes
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 med zucchini, thinly sliced
- 5-6 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp minced fresh dill (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 cup plain plant-based milk
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella-style vegan cheese shreds
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- toasted sunflower seeds (for topping)
- Bake or microwave the potatoes in their skins until done but still firm. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice about 1/2 inch thick.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Combine the potatoes with the remaining ingredients (except the sunflower seeds) in a large bowl and stir together. Don’t worry if the potatoes break apart.
- Pour into an oiled 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with the toasted sunflower seeds.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then scoop out of the baking dish to serve.