In this episode of the Vegetarian Zen podcast we’ll be reviewing Splendid Spoon. Splendid Spoon is a meal subscription service that specializes in clean ingredients.
You can listen to us discuss our Splendid Spoon experience here or read on for a quick summary.
Splendid Spoon is a plant-based meal delivery service that serves up smoothies, soups, grain bowls, and noodle bowls that are low in sugar and sodium and are delivered ready-to-eat.
Their meals and plans are designed to help their customers pick up healthy habits like cutting out sugary processed meals. Knowing what to eat on a healthy diet can be confusing, especially if you’re just starting out. Splendid Spoon helps their customers take the guesswork out of what to eat on a healthy plant-based diet.
How it Works
You choose how often you want to receive meals: weekly, every other week, or once a month. You can update your delivery schedule to fit your lifestyle.
Plan Options (as of November 2020)
- Breakfast + Lunch + Dinner + Reset – For those looking for all of their daily meals plus a one-day soup reset to get things started. $185/ week
- Breakfast + Lunch + Reset – Get ready to kickstart your healthy habits with 15 nutritious, plant-based meals: 5 smoothies, 5 bowls, and our signature 1-day Reset program.$135/ week
- Breakfast + Lunch – 5 protein-packed smoothies and 5 veggie-filled bowls delivered weekly to power routine. Choose from over 50+ plant-based meals. $95/ week
- Breakfast – 5 protein-packed smoothies delivered weekly, to power your AM routine. Choose from our low-sugar, banana-free, or protein-packed options.$65/ week
- Lunch – 5 veggie-filled bowls delivered weekly to power lunch routine. Choose from our low-sodium, high-fiber, or protein-packed options. $65/ week
- Ships to the US only
- Meals are shipped in recyclable, insulated packaging, so the foods arrive frozen, partially frozen, or chilled
- Boxes, plastic bottles, and pint containers are 100% BPA-free and recyclable
- Bowls are microwave-safe
- All meals are vegan, low-sugar, plant-based, and gluten-free. Note any allergies you have upon signing up, and products that contain potential allergens will be flagged in the menu.
Is Splendid Spoon Right For You?
We received two separate boxes. The first contained a variety of grain bowls, smoothies, and wellness shots.
The noodle bowls came a few weeks after that since they are a newer offering.
I really like their commitment to making their packaging 100% recyclable. It’s a bit disheartening sometimes when companies support healthy habits but aren’t really looking out for the planet.
Splendid Spoon has a whole page on their site that talks about their streamlined supply chain and freezer-friendly meals that help reduce food waste.
In addition to their packaging being recyclable, it’s also 100% BPA-free and their bowls are microwave-safe.
If you are looking to incorporate healthy meals without the hassle of preparing them yourself and researching recipes, this box would be great for you.
When I pulled a bowl out of the fridge for lunch, it was great to just put the contents in a skillet and heat it up. No chopping, no reading through a recipe, and very little cleanup.
Pre-made meals like these also helps to reduce food waste because they keep us from buying produce that only I will eat.
Taste and Quality of Ingredients
I don’t care much for frozen foods. I think they taste, well, frozen. What I like about Splendid Spoon is that the food tasted very fresh, as if I had just prepped the ingredients myself.
In addition to tasting fresh, most of their fruits and veggies are organic. The label very clearly lists organic ingredients so if you’re trying to avoid non-organic ingredients, you can easily do that.
I tried their smoothies, wellness shots, grain bowls, and noodle bowls. Here are some of them:
- Dragon Fruit
- Blueberry Coconut
- Brown Rice Taco Bowl
- Moroccan Lentil
- Red Curry
- Tangy Ginger
- Detox Wellness Shot
- Ginger/ Lemon Wellness Shot
Their wellness shots actually inspired me to start to experiment with my own again! Here are some wellness shot recipes I was inspired to create.
This box might not be for you if you’re a picky eater like Larissa. There are very few things she would actually enjoy.
Additionally, if you have food allergies, you really want to pay attention to the ingredients. That’s not really different from what you should do with any other pre-prepared meal. When you choose your meals, they have food allergy warnings very clearly posted on each meal.
The Splendid Spoon subscriptions aren’t cheap, but the ingredients they use are fresh and mostly organic, so you’re paying a premium for this.
I really enjoyed going through my Splendid Spoon box. It was super easy to prepare and I liked the surprise of trying something new.
I also really enjoyed the feeling I got from eating something so healthy. The freshness and quality of the ingredients helped me feel like I was taking care of myself.
I am not a current subscriber, primarily because of the price point. As we review this, we are in the middle of a pandemic that has put a financial strain on a lot of people, including us. For this reason, we’re trying to keep our expenses down. Since we both work from home, it’s not too difficult for us to prepare our own meals.
If a Splendid Spoon subscription is right for you, they have offered our community $25 off at checkout using our link.
Please note that some of the links on this page may be affiliate links. That means at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase through one of our links. We never recommend or provide affiliate links to products or services we do not use ourselves or that come from a trusted resource. Our ultimate goal is to provide helpful products and advice to you, our readers and listeners.
A Special Thanks To Our Sponsors:
In this eBook, you will learn:
- What Buddha bowls are and why they are the PERFECT meal
- How to create your own awesome combinations based on your needs and specific tastes
- Some of our favorite ingredient combinations (recipes) plus ideas for sauces and dressings
Thanks for listening!
Peace and Veggies,
Vickie and Larissa
If you enjoy our podcast, we’d greatly appreciate you leaving us a rating! We read all of our 5-star ratings on the show!