Looking for a sweet and healthy snack! Look no further than these Sweet Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas!
One cup of chickpeas has 39 grams of protein, making these tasty roasted legumes a nice mid-morning or afternoon power boost. You can easily adjust their sweetness to your liking by varying the amount of sugar used to coat the chickpeas after roasting them making for a healthier snack!
I enjoy these roasted chickpeas so much, the first time I made them the amount that made it to the jar to save for later was way less than what came out of the oven!
Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Chickpeas
- 15 ounce can organic chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey (Vegan: substitute Bee Free Honee or maple syrup)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8-1/4 cup organic natural sugar, depending on taste
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. Line a jelly-roll pan (or other pan with sides) with parchment paper.
- Drain chickpeas and rinse well. Spread them out on a towel to dry.
- While chickpeas are drying, combine olive oil, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- When chickpeas are no longer wet (damp is okay), spread them on the parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake chickpeas approximately 45 minutes or until crispy, but not too dark (or they may taste burned). If chickpeas are still soft on the inside, bake a little longer, checking often.
- Remove baked chickpeas from oven and immediately toss them in the oil, honey and spices mixture to coat well.
- Sprinkle coated chickpeas with sugar and toss again to coat well.
- To caramelize coating,spread coated chickpeas back on parchment-lined baking sheet and return to the oven for 10 more minutes.
- Caramelized chickpeas will be very hot when removed from the oven. Allow to cool before eating. Store leftover chickpeas in an airtight container.