This Tender Greens Salad with Radishes and Herbs recipe is from Vegetariana by Nava Atlas (reprinted with permission). Be sure to check out our interview with Nava where she discusses the latest edition of her book, originally published in 1984.
From the author:
Alice B. Toklas, a renowned cook in her day (and Gertrude Stein’s devoted partner) wrote, “The first gathering of the garden in May of salads, radishes, and herbs made me feel like a mother about her baby — how could anything so beautiful be mine …”. I hope that Alice would have approved of this salad. It’s filled with early-season garden goods and dressed in citrusy flavors.
Tender Greens Salad with Radishes & Herbs Recipe
Yield: 6 people
- 4-6 oz tender greens (lettuce, watercress, baby arugula, spinach, or a combination)
- 1 small bunch radishes, trimmed and sliced
- 1 cup green sprouts (such as sweet pea shoots, broccoli sprouts, etc.)
- 1/2 med cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 med red or orange bell pepper, cut into narrow strips
- orange vinaigrette dressing
- toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds (for garnish)
- Combine all the ingredients except the last two in a large serving bowl and toss together.
- Add enough dressing to moisten the salad, then toss again.
- Sprinkle with the seeds and serve. Pass around additional dressing for individual servings.