There’s something incredibly heartwarming about gathering friends and family to share a meal, and a potluck can take this feeling to the next level. Everyone brings a dish to share, making it an enjoyable culinary adventure with the added advantage of less cooking for the host.
For anyone looking to bring a meatless dish to a gathering, we’ve curated a mix of yummy vegan and vegetarian potluck ideas that will be a hit with everyone. We’ve sorted them by category for you to make it easier to find what you’re looking for.
Please note that most of the vegetarian potluck recipes can easily be made into a vegan dish by making a few simple substitutions.
Welcome to the appetizer section of our vegan and vegetarian potluck potluck ideas!
Let’s take a moment to appreciate the humble appetizer. The unsung hero of the culinary world, the brave opener of the stomach’s curtains, the tantalizing teaser of the taste buds, and the gentle ice-breaker of dinner conversations. These titillating tidbits set the stage for the fabulous feast to follow.
So buckle up, my dear, plant-loving friends. We’re about to dive mouth-first into a tantalizing collection of appetizers that will have even the most dedicated meat lovers reaching for seconds. Whether you’re in the mood for some kickin’ Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings, craving a Mediterranean Layer Dip, or hankering for some Caprese Skewers, we’ve got you covered. It’s time to bring on the veggies and let the flavors do the talking!
- Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings: A healthier, animal-friendly alternative to traditional chicken wings and featuring a spicy and crispy exterior. Larissa and I first fell in love with these when visiting our favorite movie theater, Alamo Drafthouse, where they offered these as one of their vegan options.
- Mediterranean Layer Dip: This colorful dip is packed with Mediterranean-style ingredients. Perfect with pita chips or veggies.
- Caprese Skewers: Cute, colorful skewers featuring fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, and basil.
- Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip: Creamy, savory, and perfect for chopped veggies or your favorite chip.
- Stuffed Mushrooms: Savory stuffed mushrooms that are easy to make and perfect for a potluck appetizer.
- Vegan Spinach and Artichoke Dip: A creamy and flavorful vegan version of the classic spinach and artichoke dip.
- Hummus: Sure, you can buy some off the shelf, but why not do a little bragging about the awesome hummus you made? This classic dip is easy to make and perfect for dipping fresh veggies, pita bread, or crackers.
- Roasted Vegetable Dip: A creamy dip featuring a medley of roasted eggplant, zucchini, red peppers, and garlic.
- Marinated Almond-Stuffed Olives: Tangy green olives stuffed with almonds, marinated in olive oil, vinegar, and herbs.
- Vegan Charcuterie Board: Think you can have a charcuterie board without meat and cheese? Think again! Check out our article with some ideas to create our own delicious board.
- Avocado Salsa: A unique salsa recipe with corn, black beans, tomatoes, and cilantro.
- Creamy 7-Layer Taco Dip: A hit snack featuring cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning.
Some people think salads are just rabbit food. Ha! We can take a moment to chuckle at this misconception because we know better, don’t we? A good salad can be a symphony of tastes and textures, a prismatic canvas of colors, and a tour of nature’s bounty all in one bowl.
Whether you’re craving the nutty goodness of Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables, the festive mix of Black Bean and Corn Salad, or the refreshing crunch of a Greek Salad, we’ve got your back, your front, and all your sides! Get those serving spoons ready and let the power of plants light up your potluck table. It’s time to toss those preconceived notions aside and dig into some serious salad deliciousness!
- Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables: A healthy and flavorful salad packed with protein-rich quinoa and a variety of roasted vegetables.
- Black Bean and Corn Salad: A vibrant summer salad featuring black beans, corn, tomatoes, and avocado.
- Greek Salad: A refreshing salad with crisp veggies, feta cheese, and a zesty vinaigrette.
- Cucumber and Avocado Salad: A light and refreshing summer salad, perfect for a potluck.
- Roasted Caprese Salad: A simple salad featuring 3 varieties of tomatoes, fresh arugula and basil, and burrata cheese (you can substitute fresh mozzarella if you like).
- Quinoa Salad: From Cookie and Kate. Here is how she describes it, “This quinoa salad is refreshing, crisp, and delicious. It’s made simply with fresh cucumber, red bell pepper, red onion, chickpeas, fresh parsley, garlicky olive oil, and lemon dressing. The salad sort of reminds me of tabouleh, an herbed Lebanese salad with tomatoes and bulgur.”
- Spinach and Orzo Salad: A light and pleasing salad with orzo pasta, spinach, feta cheese, and pine nuts.
- Strawberry and Feta Salad: A fresh salad featuring spinach, strawberries, feta cheese, and toasted almonds.
- Southwestern Pasta Salad: I chose this recipe because it includes vegan soyrizo which is one of my absolute FAVES! This is a really good recipe to introduce your omnivore friends to plant-based meats.
- Southern Vegan Potato Salad: What potluck is complete without potato salad? Made with vegan mayo, guests won’t even realize it’s vegan.
- Vegan Italian Pasta Salad: From My Veg Life, a colorful pasta salad with bell peppers, tomatoes, olives, and Italian dressing.
- Macaroni Coleslaw: A combination of macaroni salad and coleslaw with a tangy dressing.
Who says the mains need to be filled with meat? Not us! In our world, veggies and grains take center stage, belting out their vibrant flavors and wholesome goodness. They’re the superstars, the show-stoppers, the grand finale firework display of every potluck party!
Whether you’re hankering for the heartiness of a Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili, the warmth of a Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchilada, or the comforting familiarity of a Baked Mac and Cheese, we’re serving up all the cozy, hearty, tummy-happy feels you’re seeking.
So, tie on that apron, brandish your spatula, and let’s create some plant-based magic that’ll knock everyone’s socks off!
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili: A hearty vegetarian chili that’s perfect for a potluck. Serve with cornbread or crackers.
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas: Hearty enchiladas that are a great vegetarian main dish option. Pair with rice, beans, and guacamole for a flavorful dish.
- Baked Mac and Cheese: A classic comfort food that’s always a hit at potlucks. Pair it with a side salad for a balanced meal.
- Quiche Florentine: A classic brunch dish that can be easily adapted to be vegan. If you’re feeling adventurous, toss in some sliced mushrooms.
- Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie: A hearty and comforting dish, perfect for a potluck on a cold day.
- Hungry Guy Burgers by Laura Theodore: Hearty veggie burgers that make for a great vegan main dish. Serve with all the classic burger toppings and some sweet potato fries.
- Vegan Mac and Cheese: A vegan spin on the classic baked mac and cheese recipe made with vegan cheese, nutritional yeast, vegan butter, and bread crumbs.
- Cheesy Ranch Potato Bake: A cheesy potato casserole with ranch dressing. Add some veggie “bacon” bits for a great topper.
- Ethiopian Cabbage Dish: A budget-friendly dish featuring cabbage, carrots, onion, potatoes, and a blend of warm spices.
- The Best Vegan Meatballs: From Minimalist Baker, you can use these for a spaghetti dinner or stick a toothpick in each for a fun potluck appetizer.
- Party Time Beans: A bean dish slightly sweetened with brown
- Cheesy Egg Puffs: Baked egg muffins with cheese, green onions, and parsley that are great for brunch or breakfast.
- Curried Veggie Galette: Tons of veggies spooned into a pie crust and topped with a lemony yogurt dressing.
Thinking of bringing a plant-based dessert to the table? Thee are plenty of good options. Personally, I’m partial to the Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Pie that NO ONE will suspect is vegan. Wait to see the look of surprise when you reveal it’s no-bake, too!
- Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Pie: A no-bake dessert with a sweet-salty crust and a creamy, peanut butter-chocolate filling.
- Apple Crumble: A classic dessert featuring a layer of sweet apples topped with a buttery crumble.
- Layered Bluebery Vegan Cheesecake: A beautiful and delicious vegan cheesecake with a nutty base and a creamy, berry-infused topping.
We hope these 40 vegan and vegetarian potluck ideas will help you score big points at your next get-together. And be sure to check out our article, The Ultimate Guide to Potluck Etiquette.
- Patreon is a simple way for listeners to contribute to Vegetarian Zen every month.
- Pledge levels start as low as $1 a month. Pledge $5 or more and you’ll receive some sweet Veg Zen swag…t-shirts, stickers, magnets, grocery bags, and more!
- By becoming a sponsor on Patreon, you are automatically inducted into our prestigious Golden Apple Roundtable!