We’re keeping the spooky season theme going from our last podcast episode, when we shared 12 Fun Vegan Halloween Recipes To Try. In this episode we’re sharing 20 awesome vegan Halloween candy treats! All of these are store-bought candies and are pretty easy to find.
Pop in a scary movie and get your sweet tooth ready for some of these awesome vegan Halloween candy options!
Vegetarian Zen is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a monetary commission. Additionally, the information presented is for educational purposes only. Always consult with your doctor. Learn More.
General Vegan Candy Guide
Fortunately, the vast majority of candy varieties are vegan, even if only by accident. Before we get into our 15 vegan Halloween candy treats, let’s discuss what to look for on an ingredients list. This way, if we don’t mention your favorite candy you can still check the label to know if it’s vegan-friendly.
The main animal-derived products to look out for on candy ingredients lists include:
- gelatin – gelatin is often found in gummy candies (such as gummy bears) or marshmallows and contains ligaments, animal bones, animal tendons, cartilage, and/or animal skin.
- carmine color – carmine color is made from crushed cochineal insects and is often found in red candies.
- confectioner’s glaze – made using “beetle juice” (bug excretions) to give candy a shiny coating.
- chocolate – while dark chocolate is usually vegan, milk and white chocolate contain dairy and whey, neither of which is vegan. Candies such as Tootsie Pops, traditional chocolate peanut butter cups, Kit Kats, and most chocolate candy bars will contain some animal byproducts unless the labels specifically says they don’t.
- honey – people following a vegan diet don’t consume honey as it’s derived from bees.
20 Store-Bought Vegan Candy Halloween Treats
Let’s stroll through the candy aisle and check out some vegan candy options. This list of sweet treats is obviously based on personal choice, so it’s not in any real order. Also, as I was creating the list I noticed that most are pretty much classic candies that have been around for a while. I grew up with most of these well before vegan candy brands was a thing.
Let’s get to those vegan treats!
- Classic Smarties Hard Candy Roll, Original Assorted Flavors, Individually Wrapped, 45 Candy Rolls (Half-Pound)
A Few More Considerations
When it comes to most things, we try and look for simple ingredients and avoid things like high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, and artificial colors. Some of these things are worse than others, but we just try not to keep a ton of these around the house period, outside of special events or holidays like Halloween.
Additionally, when handing out candy, we also like to be mindful of potential allergies from the little trick or treaters, so we try and keep the treats allergy-friendly (ex. no nuts).
We hope this list has given you some great ideas for your candy bowl. Happy Halloween!
A Super Grateful THANKS To Our Sponsors
- Patreon is a simple way for listeners to contribute to Vegetarian Zen every month.
- Pledge levels start as low as $1 a month. Pledge $5 or more and you’ll receive some sweet Veg Zen swag…t-shirts, stickers, magnets, grocery bags, and more!
- By becoming a sponsor on Patreon, you are automatically inducted into our prestigious Golden Apple Roundtable!
More Vegan Halloween Candy
- PETA Vegan Halloween Candy Guide
- Vegan Halloween Candy from vegan.com
- Live Kindly’s Guide to Vegan Candy