These tasty vegan oatmeal muffins prove that there’s more than one way to eat your oatmeal. They are very filling, with a satisfying combination of cakey moistness and whole-oatmeal crunch. Serve warm with some Earth Balance spread and organic preserves (think farmer’s market!) for a real treat.
Vegan Oatmeal Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 3/4 cup demerara sugar
- 3/4 cup plain soy milk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) Earth Balance stick margarine melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine Ener-G and warm water, whisking well until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flours, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- Whisk demerara sugar into Ener-G mixture.
- Add soy milk, melted Earth Balance, and vanilla to wet ingredients. Whisk well.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and fold together just until moistened.
- Divide batter among muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until tops spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean..