In episode 408 of The Vegetarian Zen podcast, we welcomed back our friend and inspiration, Laura Theodore (aka The Jazzy Vegetarian).
This recipe for Vegan Tofu Ricotta Cheese can be used in her Spicy Vegan Eggplant Rollatini recipe which is included in her book Easy Vegan Home Cooking. Enjoy!
Recipe from EASY VEGAN HOME COOKING by Laura Theodore © 2021. Published by Hatherleigh Press, February 15th, 2022. Reprinted by permission. Vegetarian Zen is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a monetary commission. Additionally, the information presented on our site is for educational purposes. Always consult a doctor.
Easy Vegan Tofu Ricotta Cheese
This flavorful and quick-to-prepare “ricotta” works beautifully layered in casseroles or sprinkled over salads, and it’s a real standout in any lasagna dish you may be serving your family.
- 1 block extra-firm regular tofu (refrigerated tub) well drained and broken into chunks
- 1/3 cup fresh chives chopped and firmly packed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- black pepper several grinds
- Put the tofu, chives, olive oil, tamari, garlic powder, salt, and a few grinds of freshly ground pepper into a medium-sized bowl.
- Mash to the consistency of chunky ricotta cheese using a potato masher or large fork. Covered and refrigerated, Vegan Chive Ricotta will keep for 1 day.
CHEF’S NOTE: For a saltier vegan ricotta, add an additional ⅛ teaspoon salt. VARIATION: Vegan Basil Ricotta: Substitute ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil for the chives.