I love this Vegetarian Lasagna recipe, not only because it’s PACKED with veggies, but also for it’s versatility.
It can easily be made vegan (you will see VEGAN options in parentheses). You can also substitute vegetables: yellow squash for zucchini, spinach for kale…you get the idea. Get creative!
If you are making homemade sauce, it’s a good idea to make it ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use. The Fresh Tomato Sauce recipe I use takes a couple of hours start to finish, and it’s just easier to do it ahead of time.
Running short on time and need a quick sauce option? We love this Portobello Mushroom sauce from 365.If you’re looking for some great vegan substitutes to use in this recipe, here are a few we’ve used and they are pretty darn amazing!
Please note, some links on this page may be affiliate links which means, if you purchase a product through our link, we may get a small referral commission at no extra charge to you.
Vegetarian Lasagna (with Vegan Options)
- 1 1/2 quarts pasta sauce homemade or jarred
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 6 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese (VEGAN: 2 cups tofu ricotta -- see NOTE below for recipe)
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 eggs (VEGAN: 3 tsp Ener-G egg replacer mixed with 4 tbsp water; OR 2 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 4 tablespoons warm water)
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups shredded mozarella (VEGAN: non-dairy shredded mozarella-style cheese)
- 1/2 cups shredded fresh parmesan cheese (VEGAN: non-dairy parmesan, or omit)
- Mix carrots, oregano, and sauce together.
- Mix ricotta and eggs together in separate bowl. (VEGAN: Mix tofu ricotta and egg substitute of choice together in separate bowl).
- Spread ½ cup sauce in bottom of 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Layer ingredients in this order: 3 lasagna noodles, half of remaining sauce, half of spinach, half of ricotta (VEGAN: half of tofu ricotta) mixture, half of sliced zucchini, half of sliced mushrooms, half of mozzarella (VEGAN: half of vegan mozzarella), and half of parmesan (VEGAN: half of Vegan Parmesan Cheese).
- Repeat layers with remaining ingredients.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 10 minutes in pan before cutting.