I love this Vegetarian Lasagna recipe, not only for it’s healthy yumminess, but also for it’s versatility. It can easily be made vegan (you will see VEGAN options in parentheses). You can also substitute vegetables: yellow squash for zucchini, spinach for kale…you get the idea. Get creative!
If you are making homemade sauce, it’s a good idea to make it ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use. The Fresh Tomato Sauce recipe I use takes a couple of hours start to finish, and it’s just easier to do it ahead of time.
(Adapted from Vegetarian Lasagna on food.com)
Please note, some links on this page may be affiliate links which means, if you purchase a product through our link, we may get a small referral commission at no extra charge to you.
- 1 1/2 quarts pasta sauce (homemade or jarred). We love this Portobello Mushroom sauce from 365)
- 1/2 c grated carrots
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 6 cooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 (16 ounce) container ricotta cheese (vegan option tofu ricotta)
- 2-3 large kale leaves, washed and chopped (should be about 2 c)
- 2 eggs (vegan option use Ener-G egg replacer; OR 2 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 4 tablespoons warm water)
- 1 1/2 c thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 c sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 c shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (vegan option: non-dairy mozzarella cheese)
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese (vegan option: Go Veggie Parmesan Cheese)
- Mix carrots, oregano, and sauce together.
- Saute wet chopped kale over medium heat until wilted (leaving the kale wet after washing will help product steam to wilt it). Set wilted kale aside.
- Mix ricotta and eggs together in separate bowl. (or tofu ricotta and egg substitute of choice together in separate bowl).
- Spread ½ cup sauce in bottom of 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Layer ingredients in this order: 3 lasagna noodles, half of remaining sauce, half of kale, half of ricotta mixture, half of sliced zucchini, half of sliced mushrooms, half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan
- Repeat layers with remaining ingredients.
- Bake in 350 degrees oven for about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 10 minutes in pan before cutting.