Guacamole. Smashed-up avocados blended with fresh pico de gallo and tart lime juice. A South Texas staple, for sure.
If you really love the taste of cilantro and you find your pico deficient, feel free to add some chopped fresh to your guacamole. Same goes for the heat…crank it up with additional chopped serranos, jalapenos, or even the dreaded ghost pepper!
Because exposure to the air makes cut avocados turn brown quickly, you can extend the life of your guacamole by storing it in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator. Place fresh lemon slices directly on top of the guacamole before placing the cover on.
Vickie's Spicy Guacamole
- 4 small avocados
- 1/2 cup hot pico de gallo
- juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste
- Cut avocados in half and remove pits.
- Cut each avocado half lengthwise and peel.
- Cube the avocado quarters and place in a large bowl.
- Mash the cubed avocado with a potato masher or back of a spoon. Make it as chunky or smooth as you like it.
- Add the pico de gallo and lime juice and stir well to combine.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve immediately.