In this episode of the Vegetarian Zen podcast we discuss a topic that was suggested by a listener. She wondered if some people who became vegetarian or vegan for reasons pertaining to animal welfare suffer from depression because they feel that they are not making a difference with vegetarianism. We address some reasons for these feelings as well as suggest some ways to overcome them.
Thanks for tuning in to this episode of the Vegetarian Zen Podcast! If you find value in our podcast and listen on iTunes, please consider leaving us a rating and review.[button href=”https://itunes.apple.com/review?id=666811479&type=Podcast” primary=”true” centered=”true” newwindow=”true”]Click to Review Vegetarian Zen on iTunes[/button]
Please note that some of the links on this page may be affiliate links and, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through to the product using the link we have provided. We never recommend or provide affiliate links to products or services we do not use ourselves, and our ultimate goal is to provide helpful products and advice to you, our readers and listeners.
In the News:
- New Report: Why SeaWorld Attendance Is Plummeting
- For more info about Harry Styles and SeaWorld: How Harry Styles Sent Sea World’s Image Diving
- For more info about PETA and SeaWorld: PETA Says Undercover Sea World Employee Posed as Animal Rights Activist
Here’s what we mention in this episode:
- PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals)
- Best Friends Animal Society
- VZ 064: Cruelty Free 101 – An Animal-Lover’s Guide to Finding Products Not Tested on Animals
- VZ 065: Finding Cruelty Free Products Is Easier Than You Think (We’ve Got Sources!)
- Vegan Meetups on meetup.com
- Peas & Carrots Society: Friends of Vegetarian Zen Facebook group
- VZ 116: The Vegan Cheese Episode
- VZ 018: Food and Mood
- VZ 103: Food and Stress – How to Eat Properly to Stress Less
Resources Used for this Episode
- Vegan Meetups
- How Can Diet Affect Depression?
- What Should I Do if I’m Discouraged After Being Vegan for a While?
Recipe of the Week
Quotes of the Week
[reminder]Do you ever feel like being a vegetarian or vegan is pointless? If so, how have you worked through those feelings?[/reminder]
While wandering a deserted beach at dawn, stagnant in my work, I saw a man in the distance bending and throwing as he walked the endless stretch toward me. As he came near, I could see that he was throwing starfish, abandoned on the sand by the tide, back into the sea. When he was close enough I asked him why he was working so hard at this strange task. He said that the sun would dry the starfish and they would die. I said to him that I thought he was foolish. There were thousands of starfish on miles and miles of beach. One man alone could never make a difference. He smiled as he picked up the next starfish. Hurling it far into the sea he said, “It makes a difference for this one.” I abandoned my writing and spent the morning throwing starfish.
— Loren Eiseley, 20th Century American anthropologist
Don’t miss a single episode of Vegetarian Zen! Subscribe today:
[button href=”https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vegetarian-zen-nutrition-recipes/id666811479?mt=2″ primary=”true” centered=”false” newwindow=”true”]Subscribe on iTunes[/button]
[button href=”http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/vegetarian-zen?refid=stpr” primary=”true” centered=”false” newwindow=”true”]Subscribe on Stitcher[/button]
Thanks for listening!
Peace and Veggies,
Vickie and Larissa
[custom-related-posts title=”Related Posts” order_by=”title” order=”ASC” none_text=”None found”]