What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda is one of the world’s oldest healing systems. It was developed in India over 5000 years ago. The Sanskrit word “Ayurveda” means life (ayur) science or knowledge and (veda) or “science of life”.
Practitioners of Ayurveda believe that the body, mind, and spirit are intricately interwoven. Good health is dependent upon a healthy balance between them. The Ayurvedic approach to health is one of prevention rather than treatment.
Those who practice Ayurveda believe that each person is comprised of the five basic elements found in our universe. These elements are space, air, fire, water, and earth. Each person is different and therefore, these five elements combine uniquely in each of us to form three life forces or “doshas”. These doshas are the vata, pitta, and kapha. To find out your dosha type, take this quiz which will ask you a few basic questions about your body type and behavioral tendencies.
Understanding your dosha type will help you make the right choices when it comes to diet, exercise, and realizing your full potential.
The goal of Ayurvedic healthcare is to help you achieve a balance between your own unique physical and emotional qualities that make up your life force. Practices can include the use of medical oils, herbs, and laxatives to help cleanse the body.
It’s important to note that the FDA does not review or approve of certain Ayurvedic products so always check with your doctor before incorporating new health practices or products into your health and wellness routine.
Listen to episode 287 for our interview with Ayurvedic practitioner Shivani Gupta as we discuss this ancient system of holistic healing.
Shivani Gupta is an Ayurvedic wellness practitioner and serial eco- and social -entrepreneur. Born and raised in Houston, Texas to a loving traditional Indian family, she first learned about healthy eating, organic foods, and effective supplements from her father, who brought ancient Ayurvedic practices into the family’s daily lives. Shivani took this knowledge to the next level obtaining a Ph.D. in Ayurvedic studies. She is the founder of Fusionary Formulas and author of Conscious Pregnancy).
Shivani Gupta was born and raised in Houston, Texas by a loving traditional Indian family. At an early age, she was empowered to make healthy nutritional choices. Her father was the epitome of healthy living. He taught her about organic foods, natural supplements, and fortifying the body for the best health. After decades as an ambitious scholar and now an authority on organic living, Shivani is helping women fuel their mind, body, and soul for a conscious pregnancy and Zen Baby.
Please note that some of the links on this page may be affiliate links and, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through to the product using the link we have provided. We never recommend or provide affiliate links to products or services we do not use ourselves, and our ultimate goal is to provide helpful products and advice to you, our readers and listeners.
A Special Thanks To Our Sponsors:
- Patreon is a simple way for listeners to contribute to Vegetarian Zen every month.
- Pledge levels start as low as $1 a month. Pledge $5 or more and you’ll receive some sweet Veg Zen swag…t-shirts, stickers, magnets, grocery bags, and more!
- By becoming a sponsor on Patreon, you are automatically inducted into our prestigious Golden Apple Roundtable!
Further Reading and Resources Used for this Episode:
- National Ayurvedic Medical Association
- What is Ayurveda? (WebMD)
- National Center for Complementary Health and Integrative Health
- Shivani Gupta on Facebook
- American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine
- Discover Your Dosha Type Quiz
Product of the Week:
- FDA Registered. Made of Superior Surgical Grade stainless steel and with Comfort Grip
- Seal Packed for Super hygiene. No loose pieces or hand handling
- Thicker, heavy-duty gauge to ensure it is smooth on the tongue - without risk of nicks
- Eliminates Non-hygienic or wearing away Rubber Handles – Only Pure Stainless Steel Carved handles to last a lifetime
- Flexible, non-gagging - Suitable tool for plaque removal, bad breath and to restore oral hygiene or taste sensation
Thanks for listening!
Peace and Veggies,
Vickie and Larissa