In this episode of The Vegetarian Podcast, Larissa and I talk about 3 recent news articles that caught our attention. Things are moving so fast in the plant-based space that we like to discuss topics here, and we encourage you to comment in our closed Facebook group, The Peas and Carrots Society.
You can listen to us discuss the news stories hear or read on for a quick summary and links to the articles.
Vegetarian Zen is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a monetary commission. Additionally, the information presented is for educational purposes only. Always consult with your doctor. Learn More.
News Articles Discussed
1. Is Nut Butter Healthy? Here Are the Best Vegan Options
Check out the article by Veg News or read on for the TL;DR.
- Vegan-Friendly? Most are, but watch out for animal-derived ingredients like honey or whey.
- Health Check Rich in protein, healthy fats, and essential nutrients. Avoid those with trans fats or palm oil.
- Nutritional Stars Almond and peanut butter are high in protein and heart-healthy fats. Cashew butter is a vitamin and mineral powerhouse.
- Allergy-Friendly Sunflower seed butter is a great nut-free option, but check for added
sugarif you’re calorie-conscious.
- Omega Boost Walnut butter is your go-to for omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which are beneficial for heart health.
- DIY Tip Making walnut butter at home? Roast the nuts for a smoother, nuttier flavor. Check out “How to Make Nut Butter” by The Minimalist Baker.
2. Esther the Wonder Pig dies ‘peacefully’ aged 11 – prompting outpouring from vegan fans from Vegan Food & Living
🐷 Remembering Esther the Wonder Pig: An Inspiring Legacy. Check out the article from Vegan Food and Living or read on for the TL;DR.
- Who Was Esther? Adopted as a supposed micro pig, Esther grew to 600 pounds but remained a beloved family member to her guardians, Steve and Derek.
- Vegan Catalyst Esther’s presence inspired her family to go vegan and become advocates for compassionate living.
- A Peaceful Goodbye Esther passed away peacefully at age 11, leaving behind a legacy of love and advocacy for animals.
- Community Mourning Fans and organizations like PETA and Mercy for Animals paid heartfelt tributes to Esther on social media.
3. 4 Iconic Halloween Horror Films With Accidental Vegan Messages from Veg News
Check out the Veg News article, “Horror Films with Accidental Vegan Messages: A Spooky Insight” or read on for the TL;DR.
- Vegan-Horror Connection The horror genre has long had films that inadvertently promote vegan messages, like the monster in Frankenstein.
- Only Lovers Left Alive A vampire couple chooses a cruelty-free lifestyle, sourcing blood from willing humans.
- Soylent Green A dystopian future where humans are farmed for food, highlighting the ethical implications of farming sentient beings.
- The Birds Hitchcock’s classic makes a case against caging birds, as they revolt against humans.
- Wolfen Wolves take revenge on developers for encroaching on their territory, emphasizing the importance of respecting animal habitats.
Special thanks to our sponsors
- Patreon is a simple way for listeners to contribute to Vegetarian Zen every month.
- Pledge levels start as low as $1 a month. Pledge $5 or more and you’ll receive some sweet Veg Zen swag…t-shirts, stickers, magnets, grocery bags, and more!
- By becoming a sponsor on Patreon, you are automatically inducted into our prestigious Golden Apple Roundtable!