When is World Environment Day?
World Environment Day is a day designated by the United Nations to bring awareness to environmental issues and wildlife crime. It’s celebrated on June 5th every year. Over 143 countries participate annually.
The World Environment Day website states, “Above all, WED is the ‘people’s day’ for doing something to take care of the earth. That can be local, national or global. Solo or in a group.”
Each World Environment Day has a focus theme and a “host” nation. This year, the host nation is China and the theme is “Beat Air Pollution.” The first World Environment Day was held in 1974 and the theme was “Only One Earth.”
Some past themes have been:
- Beat Plastic Pollution (2018)
- Connecting People to Nature (2017)
- Go Wild for Wildlife (2016)
How You Can Participate This Year to Help Beat Air Pollution
Here are some general examples of ways to help reduce air pollution:
- Use public transportation or car sharing, ride a bicycle, or walk
- Switch to a hybrid or electric vehicle and request electric taxis
- Turn off the car engine when stationary
- Reduce your consumption of meat and dairy to help cut methane emissions
- Compost organic food items and recycle non-organic trash
- Switch to high-efficiency home heating systems and equipment
- Save energy: turn off lights and electronics when not in use
- Choose non-toxic paints and furnishings
This year, the UN is also calling on everyone to join the “Mask Challenge.” Wearing a face mask will let world leaders know that breathing clean air is important to their citizens.
Here’s how to participate in the challenge:
- Between May 24th and June 4th, make a pledge and challenge others to take action
- Take a photo or video of yourself wearing a mask to post on social media
- Don’t have a mask? Get creative and make your own!
- In your post share the action you’ll take to reduce air pollution
- Tag 3 people/organizations/ companies to challenge them to do the same
- Use #WorldEnvironmentDay and #BeatAirPollution in your social media posts and don’t forget to tag @UNEnvironment
2. On World Environment Day, show how you have fulfilled your pledge!
- Take another photo or video of yourself fulfilling your commitment and post it on social media
- Use #WorldEnvironmentDay and #BeatAirPollution in your social media posts and don’t forget to tag @UNEnvironment and @vegetarianzen
We hope we’ve helped to bring awareness to the existence and importance of World Environment Day. We plan to make our World Environment Day podcast episode a yearly event to spread the word about the theme and encourage our listeners to participate as a community.
Please note that some of the links on this page may be affiliate links and, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through to the product using the link we have provided. We never recommend or provide affiliate links to products or services we do not use ourselves, and our ultimate goal is to provide helpful products and advice to you, our readers and listeners.
A Special Thanks To Our Sponsors:
- The Golden Apple Roundtable (our Patrons) on
- Buy us a Juice!
Further Reading and Resources Used for this Episode:
Recipe of the Week
Thanks for listening!
Peace and Veggies,
Vickie and Larissa